Our Los Angeles prenatal yoga classes prepares the body for the stress of childbirth. It is a safe, multi-faceted approach to exercise during pregnancy that encourages stretching, focused breathing, and mental centering. Breath and physical postures designed specifically for pregnant women are used to connect the body, mind, and spirit. Practicing prenatal yoga can improve your physical and mental state, for a calmer, healthier, happier pregnancy.
What to Expect in a Prenatal Yoga Class
Although prenatal yoga in Los Angeles vary with the approach of the instructor, a typical class involves:
- Breathing: Prenatal yoga classes teach focused breathing, in and out, slowly and deeply through the nose. These breathing techniques may help you manage shortness of breath during pregnancy. They are also helpful in working through the intensity of the contractions of labor.
- Stretching: Your instructor will guide you to gently stretch, moving the neck, arms, and different areas of your body through the full range of motion.
- Yoga postures: You will gently move your body into different positions designed to develop strength, flexibility, and balance, while sitting, standing, or lying on a mat. Special props, such as cushions, blankets, or belts, may be used to provide a higher level of comfort and support.
- Cool down and relaxation: At the end of each prenatal yoga session, you can expect a period of relaxation in which your resting heart rate and breathing rhythm are restored. You may be instructed to listen to your own breathing and become aware of your sensations, thoughts, and emotions.
Benefits of Prenatal Yoga
Practicing prenatal yoga in West Los Angeles can make a positive difference in your pregnancy. It provides a number of benefits, including:
- Support for the body: The body changes rapidly during pregnancy and needs help adjusting and compensating. Prenatal yoga is designed to support changing pregnant bodies. It is a safe way to stretch muscles and strengthen the lower body in particular, to better support a growing belly.
- Toning important muscle groups: Practicing prenatal yoga tones the pelvic floor, hips, and abdominal core muscles in preparation for birthing. Building and maintaining muscle tone during pregnancy can minimize aches and pains and help bring the body back to a toned condition after delivery.
- Better preparation for labor and delivery: Fear and tension can sabotage a woman’s efforts to remain calm and present during labor. Deep, mindful breathing techniques of yoga can help loosen and relax the body and help women allow their bodies to give birth.
- Relief from common pregnancy complaints: Stretching and toning the muscles increases circulation throughout the body, while deep breathing brings more oxygen to the muscles and the baby. Prenatal yoga can help alleviate common discomforts of pregnancy, including lower back pain, nausea, headaches, insomnia, and shortness of breath.
At Red Diamond Yoga, we offer a full experience surrounding our prenatal yoga classes. We serve mothers from Los Angeles, West Los Angeles, and Culver City, providing personal service, quality instruction and engagement, and a unique culture of community and warmth above and beyond other practices -- from the facility, to the service, to the fresh, sweet air in our studios. We invite you to tour our yoga studio in Los Angeles and experience one of our yoga classes. We look forward to meeting you.